Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lemon Tart with Almond Crust

I had a request for the dessert I served after our Valentine's Day dinner. You can find it in the Taste of Home Feb-Mar '08 edition. Here it is:

1 C. all purpose flour
1/2 C. sliced almonds, toasted (Forgot to toast mine)
1/4 C. sugar
6 T. cold butter
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 T. cold water

FILLING
1 C. sugar
3/4 C. lemon juice (I used out of a bottle)
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
2 T grated lemon peel
dash salt
6 T butter, cubed

Place the flour, almonds, sugar, butter, extract and salt in a food processor. Cover and pulse until blended. Gradually add water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, pulsing until mixture forms a soft dough.

Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased (with unspoiled shortening - lol inside joke) 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

In large heavy saucepan, whisk the first six filling ingredients until blended. Add butter; cook and stir over low heat for 7-8 minutes or until thickened. (I cooked much longer and never got what I would call thickened?) Strain; pour into crust. Bake at 325F for 8-10 minutes (mine took 15 minutes) or until set. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. (I made mine the night before and refrigerated overnight.)

It DID turn out very delicious - very tart and lemony. We all enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Melynda said...

I have four taste of home cook books on my dining room table that my husband and I were looking through today.

There's more in the kitchen too...

:0)